Here’s a Fun Way to Engage AAC Users
Teaching core vocabulary or complex concepts to children with special needs can be tricky. Activity-based teaching strategies and visual representation can help them understand abstract ideas better. With several digital educational tools available these days, we can find innovative ways to impart knowledge to AAC learners.
Genial.ly is one such web-based tool with which you can upload any image and make it an exciting teaching aid. Here, we have taken the image of Avaz AAC app and added interactive elements to the image. Each interactive element associated with a word has been hyperlinked to an YouTube video that explains the word. All you need to do is click on the interactive elements to watch the videos.
Parents and teachers can use such interesting tools to make the learning experience fun for AAC users. You can also upload audio, hyperlink the interactive elements to any URL or text, or insert your own photos or videos.
Here are some of the concepts that can be taught through this interactive image:
- Less and more – hyperlinked to the word more
- Turn taking – hyperlinked to the word turn
- Waiting in line – hyperlinked to the word wait
- Same and different – hyperlinked to the word different
- Emotions – hyperlinked to the word sad
Hope you found this resource useful. Many Thanks to Carole Zangari for sharing this lovely idea.
Subscribe to the Avaz Newsletter
Join 4000+ fellow readers! Get latest articles straight to your inbox. Enter your email address below:
- AAC and Smart Assistants: A Productive Partnership
- AAC Apps for Adults with Acquired Communication Disorders
- High Tech and Low Tech AAC: How to Effectively use both
- What is AAC(Augmentative and Alternative Communication)? : A Detailed View
- 5 Creative Ways of Using an AAC Device
- AAC & Angelman Syndrome – A Testimonial from a Parent
- How to use Expansion and Extension strategies for building language
- Understanding different aspects of pragmatics for effective communication
- Celebrate Christmas with Avaz