Downloadable Low Tech Communication Boards
Communication boards are an excellent resource to facilitate communication for people with speech and language deficits. Children and adults who have complex communication needs can use these boards to express their wants and needs. It can be used to augment communication in case the user has partial speech or as an alternative mode of communication for those who are non-verbal.
You can find COVID-related downloadable communication boards here.
You can find story-related Communication boards for shared reading here.
Why use Low Tech AAC Boards?
People with communication challenges due to Autism, Apraxia, stroke, can use AAC (Augmentative and Alternative Communication) boards to communicate to their loved ones and during social interactions. Even AAC users who use robust high tech AAC systems can use low tech boards in physical environments where high tech AAC use may not be feasible.
For a child getting started with AAC, low tech boards can be used to build language as they develop their communication skills. While the boards have their limitations in their range of vocabulary, their low cost and ease-of-use make them handy tools for communication. They can also be easily carried everywhere providing the user access to communication at all times.
Here’s a great example of how to use low tech boards to encourage AAC use. Hang the low tech board with food vocabulary near the refrigerator or dining table so that the communicator can request the food they’d like to have. Once the AAC user gets familiar with the vocabulary on the low tech board, they can use the same on their high tech AAC systems too.
Here are a few downloadable low tech boards of Avaz AAC app. Please note that these boards have a grid size of 40. If you want other grid sizes, you can download them as PDF from Avaz AAC app.
- Avaz AAC Core Board File size:659 KB
- Avaz AAC Core Vocabulary(More Core Words) File size:1060 KB
- Avaz AAC Feelings File size:1370 KB
- Avaz AAC Questions File size:1240 KB
Download a free trial version of Avaz Francais here.
Avaz Francais (French)
- Avaz en Français Mots de Base File size:1277 KB
- Avaz en Français Questions File size:339 KB
- Avaz en Francais réponses et commentaires File size:1180 KB
- Avaz en Francais Rapide File size:3540 KB
Download a free trial version of Avaz India here
- Avaz India_Core File size: 417 KB
- Avaz India_Breakfast File size:356 KB
- Avaz India_Lunch/Dinner File size:1550 KB
Download a free trial version of Avaz Danish here
- Centrale Ord Avaz bog File size:340 KB
- mine følelser Avaz bog File size:237 KB
- frokost Avaz bog File size:303 KB
- morgenmad Avaz bog File size:453 KB
- aftensmad Avaz bog File size:371 KB
Hope you use these communication boards in your AAC journey. If you have any ideas for DIY communication boards, please share them in the comment section below.
Subscribe to the Avaz Newsletter
Join 4000+ fellow readers! Get latest articles straight to your inbox. Enter your email address below:
- Building Literacy: Teaching Grammar to AAC Users
- Expansion of Language: Supporting AAC Learner’s Progress
- Avaz Joyful Reading: Resources for Shared Reading
- AAC Resources: Games, Activities and Communication Opportunities
- Avaz AAC User Stories: Why Nishant and his AAC System are Inseparable
- Downloadable Low Tech Communication Boards
- Get the Better of Reading Difficulties with MDA Avaz Reader
- AAC Apps for Adults with Acquired Communication Disorders
- Teletherapy: A smart way to facilitate remote speech therapy for adults and children
- 5 Creative Ways of Using an AAC Device